An example of Table widget done using jQuery/prototype is flexigrid.
Table widget features:
- Swap columns
- Resize columns
- Export to CSV
- Copy to Clipboard
- Hide/show column
- Select rows
- Alignment of data depending on their datatype.
- Highlight row
- Filter/Search Functionality
- Rearranging Columns
- Container for other widgets
I was restricted for not using any JS library as library's type can conflict with the page in which widgets would be loaded.
One major requirement for this table widget was to hold other widgets in it. For example it should be able to hold Image widget in one of its cells.
Most exciting thing was to work on features like swap columns / resize columns /export to CSV /Sorting.
Learning during the development
- Develope widgets features one by one on both browsers.
- It should not be like developing full widget on FF and then on IE or vice versa. This approach takes more time and effort.